Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Goal Without A Plan Is Just A Wish

Mission ... 

To lose 25 pounds (eat healthier & work out more), complete a race (original goal was a 5K, revised goal is a half marathon & a triathlon), inspire someone (as I've been inspired!)

Status ... 

Lost 7 pounds ... 18 to go, I jogged my first race in April, a 10k (I'll write a post on that) and signed up for my second in June (taking a hiatus from drinking for 4 weeks until post-race).

Plan ...

I've had some ups and downs (see chart below) but this is the most consistent I've stayed focused.  Slow and steady ...

Pounds to go ...



In the past I might have had a health kick for a few weeks, maybe even few months but then might fall off the wagon for the better part of a year or longer ... But, as time has gone on, my length of staying focused on being healthy have gotten longer and my spans of being unmotivated have gotten shorter.  

On top of that, for the first time, I've actually started to enjoy running ... 18 months ago jogging for even 10 minutes was a struggle and now I can jog a solid 60 minutes.

Title quote: Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Although, per wiki "The earliest appearance yet located of this statement is in 50 Ways to Lose Ten Pounds (1995) by Joan Horbiak, p. 95, where it is quoted as an anonymous proverb. It seems to have circulated as such for a few years before it began to be attributed to Saint Exupéry around 2007."

2 comments:

  1. I've found that if I get into a routine with health stuff I'm good. But the second I decide I should take a break it's like my brain goes "Wait, we don't HAVE to always do this? What the wha!!" and then I end up saying screw exercise, pie is delicious.

    So what I'm saying is I'll help keep you motivated and if I tell you it's been whatever length of time is longer than a short break, you yell at me. Deal? Deal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same, that's why I prefer the habit of working out daily for a shorter time vs. every few days for more time. Plus then if I miss a workout for any reason the span between workouts is shorter.

    Sounds good on motivating one another :-)

    ReplyDelete